Thursday 17 November 2011

Ghana!!

Hey everyone!

I am leaving this Saturday for Ghana!

This will be my first month of 2 being away for rural rotations. I decided to take this time and go somewhere else other than Montreal. Once I get back from Ghana, I will be leaving 2 days later to spend one month in Mistissini, Qc....this is way up north and I will be working with the Cree population in a small town of 3000 people.

I have decided to do my family medicine rural rotation in Nalerigu, Ghana. I will be there for one month working at the Baptist Medical Centre along with two other students from my class, Patrick and Eric.

The Baptist Medical Centre in Nalerigu is a respected mission hospital located in the Northern Region of Ghana that was founded in 1958. Currently the BMC is a 123 bed hospital whose reputation brings people from as far south as Accra, as far east as Togo and Nigeria, and as far north as Burkina Faso and Mali. Most recent yearly statistics are as follows: 60,000 outpatient visits, 10,000 inpatients, 1,200 major operations, and 2,500-3,000 minor procedures. 

I am very excited and kind of scared as well because I don't know what to expect! I am sure however that this will be an unforgettable learning experience!! 

I have still not packed because I have a surgery exam tomorrow that I am studying for but I am used to pushing everything to the last minute...so hopefully I will be packed in time and ready to leave on Saturday!! 

I will keep this short now but I just wanted to get a blog started because I figured it would be a cool way to keep my family, friends and anyone interested in being updated with what's going on while I am away.

So follow my blog! 

I will be sharing all my experiences with you guys whenever I get a chance to get a hold of a computer. 

Evie...I am missing you already. 

1 comment:

  1. Im a little disapointed you didnt write that ull miss me 2 but whatever! Hehe
    So proud of you Trixxy, hope you have a great time and learn a whole lot of stuff that will make you an even bigger rockstar that you already are! We will be thinking of you and hope you will be safe and happy! Take pictures, videos ect and if you're ever lost or confused, think "what would Bouba OnStar do?" and then do the exact opposite and you should be more then fine! Lol Can't wait for you to come back safe and sound!
    Big kiss,
    Kelly- (a.k.a your partner in crime)

    ReplyDelete