Tuesday 13 December 2011

Last day at the BMC...

Wow...I don't believe my time has already come to start heading back home. It's amazing how fast a month flies when you are having so much fun and interesting experiences out here! It's a bummer because now I have gotten comfortable with the routine and know how most things work around here and enjoy the staff, nurses, translators and team...and now its time to go home!

I got good news though - the hamartan haze has cleared from the air and I should be ok for my flight tomorrow to head to Accra. I am actually a little terrified of the 2 hour drive which I will be taking in a few hours. It will be 4am and we will be driving down these unpaved roads that are full of bumps and rocks...oh well, its all part of the experience and I trust my driver :) Once I get to Accra, I will be staying there till Thursday night because my flight back to montreal leaves at 9:30pm. I got some time to check out Accra, the capital of Ghana! Supposedly there's lots of markets and touristy places to see...I'll see how adventurous I am tomorrow.

I will keep this short tonight because I need to get a few hours of sleep before I leave. I do want to say that I am excited to come back home....to a place where I am used to and grateful for all that I have. I miss the order we have in the hospitals and everything else that comes along with that. However, I am sad to leave here...knowing that I will be getting back to my life while people here will still be here and living the way they are. I sometimes feel bad for the patients here, knowing that back at home...things are done differently and so easily to get the proper care they need. Over here, we do with what we got....we are so limited to the care we can give and for this I am frustrated. I know you can't save the world and I know that things will most likely never change. I do know there are good people out there who give their time to come to places like this and try to make some kind of a difference. Even if its one person at a time...well that person is lucky to have been given the chance to what every person deserves....proper healthcare. There was this boy today which I was really sad to leave. For the last 3 weeks, we have been following him for a wound on his leg after a snake bite. We always smile at each other and go over to his bed and tickle him and give him high 5's...today I picked him up and took some pictures with him....but I am sad knowing that I will be leaving him back but I hope for the best for him. He doesn't know what life is like where I live...for him this is normal life. I know I am getting all philosophical here...but people here don't expect much, their expectations are so low that anything you can do is truly appreciated and goes a long way. Today, I gave out 25 t-shirts and 3 pairs of shorts to this lady responsible for the hospital chaplaincy dept. She will be going out to the village and give this to kids who have no clothes as a christmas gift. The smile on her face when she saw this was so worth it...she was disappointed I was leaving so soon, because she was going to take me into the village with her to take pictures of all the children wearing the tshirts. It's small things that make the difference here and helping those when the need it the most is what most people live by out here. I know I have learned a lot from my experiences out here and these are moments of my life which I will always look back on and cherish forever. As I head back home, I will be reflecting on these moments and get back to you all with what I have taken back with me :)

Time for 3 hours of sleep and off to Accra!

Speak to you all soon :)

Evs - I am coming home babes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment