Friday 5 April 2013

4 years later and 30 days in Joburg

What better way to finish your last day ever as a medical student in sunny Johannesburg, South Africa! I didn't even realize this accomplishment until I logged on to facebook and saw one of my friends status update. I just got home after finishing my last day in Trauma at the Joburg Hospital. I don't think it has all sunk in yet because I am away from home. I can remember very clearly on June 4th when I received an email from McGill medicine with my acceptance letter after waiting 2 months on the waiting list. Words can't really express how surreal that feeling was when I got that letter. Now, almost 4 years later, medical school is done (well kind of - still have to study for my licensing exam on May 1st) but done as a medical student. In just under 3 months though I will be shifting gears and start my residency - finally will be doing what I have always wanted to be doing, surgery! It's funny though because these last 4 years we have all built up ourselves at being at the top, as 4th year med students. Now, on July 1st, we are back at the bottom, the rookies, the students in surgery - only difference is that there will be great responsibility, no more counter signing your orders or prescriptions and the one we all have been waiting for, we will be getting a paycheck!! Anything can help at this point, it will be stressful but I am sure will be a great feeling. I can't wait!

Now back to reality...

Last night, we went to dinner at The Local Grill in Parktown. This was a superb meat place and we all really enjoyed it. The owners at first asked us where we were from and we said: Canada, Germany, Sweeden, Austria, Scottland, Denmark and Australia. We have actually met new people that started on Monday. Three Swedish people (surgeon, anesthetist and anesthesia nurse - all from the army), Maria from Germany, Marlyse from Austria and Michael from Scottland. They were a little confused at first wondering what we were all doing together. After telling them we were studying medicine he then came back to our table and brought us all (10) to visit his kitchen! This was very cool. This restaurant basically gets their meat straight from the farm, free range from different places in South Africa - age it themselves (either wet or dry) and they have so many cuts available. He showed us the fridge that was full of meat - omg soooo good! Obviously I took some pics (below). We really had an amazing time and ate like champions. There's nothing like a good fillet or t-bone steak to fill you up. After the restaurant we walked across the street to the Foundry. A nice place to have drinks at the bar, only problem was that they were closing early. So we made our way out to The Office to have more drinks and hang out. Both these places have good reputations and safe for us to go. We had a really nice night and it's really something else to be able to meet all these people from all over the world. According to the waiter, my red beard made him think that I was German.

Woke up Friday morning from a knock on my door. Li's car has broken down again (4 times now in last month) and she had to be at Bara Hospital. I woke up, showered and offered her a ride and then I would make my way to the Joburg Hospital right after. No big deal. Her car broke down on my first at the hospital and now on my last day, we are just closing the loop ;) On our way there, I was waiting to merge into the main road yielding and waiting to turn left. I am in the left hand lane and there is this huge truck beside me also waiting to turn left. He starts approaching into the lane because he has the better view of the oncoming traffic, so I decide to advance as well. He then takes his turn and completely smashes into my driver rear side scrapping it as he advances into his lane. As this happens, I freak out and look up towards the truck and the passenger is just looking at me while he drives off. There is no way they didn't see this happen. I didn't know what to do because there was cars coming behind and he had driven away. I get out and look at my car and see that he damaged my right side rear bumper and scrapes along passenger and driver door. THIS WAS MY LAST DAY WITH THE CAR, AS I WAS RETURNING IT BACK TO THE AIRPORT TODAY!!!! F*&^*#K!! I got back into my car and asking Li what I should do, when this guy runs up to me saying that he saw everything and tried to stop the driver at a red light but he refused and drove off. He managed to get his licence plate number and told me he would be a witness and gave me his name and number. I really appreciated that! At this point, I had to drive Li to the hospital and eventually be at the hospital for 9:30 and this happend at 8am. We were very frustrated and started driving away. Once we got on the M1 (highway) we actually saw the truck up ahead! I drove up to him, took pics of his plates and truck with my phone and Li took pictures of his face and we were yelling at him to pull over. He was basically ignoring us. Then my South African inside me took the best of me and I drove in front of him and basically slowed down, not letting him pass and shoving my arm out the window telling him to PULL OVER. This is when I realized there were 6 black guys in the truck. Eventually he pulls over and I was like "Shit do I get out?" I figured its day light, there's lots of cars around and people - I should be ok. As they all get out of the truck (I am in scrubs and stethoscope around my neck) I tell them I am not looking for trouble but that he accidentally hit me and we need to exchange info. He was like no way, how would I hit you? Where? I never saw you? I only saw an old man with beard (maybe that was me?!) Then he goes on saying, show me on my truck where I hit you? You see doctor there is no damage anywhere on my truck, it can't be me. One of the guys was telling Li, oh well we didn't have room to turn and then suddenly changed his story to "Oh well it's not us, impossible" At this point, there was no talking to them, we didn't want to start shit, so I told him I am going to police station and will deal with this, so we drove away! After I was done at the hospital, I went to the police station because I figured I would need a report to show Avis what happened. Once I got to the police station, the officer made me fill out my own report, came back and stamped it, gave me a case number and said thank you very much. Interesting way of doing business around here. Anyways, I brought the car back to Avis and they said that I basically have to pay the deductible and all the costs to repair and once they collect the money from the 3rd party (aka the driver) they will pay me back. UHmmm....I really need to figure this out because I don't think I will ever see my money back if this is the case. I will speak to Vicky (cousin who works at Avis in Montreal and always hooks me up!!!) and hopefully we can work something out. End of the day, happy that no one was hurt and nothing else you can do about it. I am so pissed because I was able to avoid the crazy taxies/combies for 33 days and on my last day with the car, this happens!!

So my elective is done, tomorrow we fly to Cape Town for 4 days, return on tuesday and I leave on Wednesday and get home on Thursday. I am excited for Cape Town but I am also at the point where I am excited to come home. A little home sick and missing Evie :)

Thanks again to all my family, friends and Evie for the ongoing support! It really makes it all worth it and so much fun to be living your dream and having fun while doing it.

See you all soon :)
Phil

Sneak peak of the kitchen at The Local Grill 
The owner talking about their meat specialty

Salt slabs where they cook the meat
Uhmmm








The group

At The Office
At The Office

FaceTime with Anthi :)
Muah!! xox
The truck 
The damage - it's really not that bad, but now have to deal with Avis and insurance
My police claim - very professional
For my friends at EMS in Cote St-Luc

No comments:

Post a Comment