Sunday 24 March 2013

2 weeks later...

Time flies when you are having fun! It has already been 2 weeks since I have left home and starting to feel comfortable in Johannesburg. Don't get me wrong, when I say comfortable, I mean that the cortisol levels in my body have stabilized to a new baseline level. The stress steroids in your body remind you that as comfortable as you might feel, you always remember to keep your guard up. Being safe in Joburg is what people are good at, or at least try to. I don't mean this in a bad way, however when talking to the local people, everyone knows someone who has been mugged or robbed. It's almost the way of life out here. When I asked one of the nurses who works here, she said she still rather live here than anywhere else. I believe her, because she describes how beautiful it is out here in South Africa and she's right. You are few hours drive away from so many landscape wonders, wildlife, food, etc... After 2 weeks, I understand what she means and like I said begin to feel comfortable in Joburg. The only reminder I get about how violent people can be is when I work at the Trauma Unit. Being in one of the busiest trauma centres (after Bara hospital) you begin to wonder how people can just do the things that they do. There is such a mix of socioeconomic diversity out here that, I think, leads to all these problems. In Johannesburg there is a huge mix of white and black people. There is also a wide range of rich, middle class and poor black people. There is lots of history in South Africa which is largely the cause of what is going on today. Between 1948 to 1994, South Africa experienced the Apartheid. This is a system of racial segregation which basically stripped all rights from the black South Africans. I had the chance to visit the Apartheid museum this week and boy was I shocked. I actually visited the museum on March 21st which happened to be Human Rights Day in South Africa after the event that caused the Sharpeville Massacre on March 21st 1960. Basically, black South Africans protested outside a police station in Sharpeville during the apartheid. Thousands were demonstrating and were requesting to be arrested because they were not carrying their passports with them (called "passes" which said if you were white, native, coloured or asian and if you did not carry this you were arrested). Eventually the crowd got out of control and the police started shooting in the crowd, killing 69 people. The Apartheid museum, really gave you a glimpse of how bad it was during these times. Watching videos of white police beating on the coloured people, signs segregating blacks from whites, even had special taxis for white people. Nelson Mandela was one of the great leaders that fought for equal rights and was anti-apartheid activist. He was imprisoned for almost 27 years and after finally being released, he was involved in demolishing the apartheid and becoming the first president in a multiracial election from 1994-1999. Everyone who makes it out to South Africa should get a chance to visit the apartheid museum. It's crazy to think that this only ended almost 20 years ago. Anyways, this was an eye-opening experience! Now where was I, oh yes, the violence. When working in 163 (the trauma bay at Joburg Gen) a night is not normal without our gunshot wounds, stabs, assaults and pedestrians hit by car. It seems like this is business as usual. It's almost like these are baseline cases that no one gets excited or stressed out about anymore. Back home, when we get a trauma activation for a gun shot wound or stabbing - there is 55 beepers going off, a medical team of 60 people waiting, people stressing, everyones heart rate is up. Here at Joburg, it's difficult to try and get a full team to see the patient because either we are ressusing another patient or people are like "Oh another gun shot or Oh another stab, just put him in bay 1". It's very interesting to see this dichotomy. After 2 weeks of being here, things dont surprise you anymore. You can stay calm when police come with a guy they shot 3 times with an assault riffle after he shot someone in the thigh, or when the police shot someone after an officer was shot in the chest, or when a guy comes in with his eye sliced in half after falling in love with this guys sister who doesn't approve of this, or when a guy gets stabbed because the muggers didn't like his phone. Once again, I am not mentioning this to scare you all, but merely trying to show that this stuff does happen on daily basis in other places of the world, which I happen to be living in right now. This makes you realize how lucky and fortunate I am to live in Canada. Being raised by two of the most amazing parents in the world who from day 1 have supported me to be the best that I am. If it wasn't for them, I actually wouldn't be here in South Africa blogging about all these crazy life experiences I am living now. Also have 2 amazing brothers. An outstanding fiancee who has been by my side every step of the way and has been my #1 fan (even though she probably doesn't want me to be here). Surrounded by amazing friends and people. I can walk outside without being scared of being mugged. But as lucky as I am to have all of that, the people who I talk to and live here feel the same way. You need to put this all into perspective I guess. The world is a crazy place and we all learn to adapt to our everyday situations. I know I will definitely take lots away from my experiences out here. The other night, when I was on call, there was a moment I had - I couldn't believe that I was in Johannesburg, South Africa doing Trauma. I remember being a little kid watching trauma life in the ER and saying to myself that this is what I want to do one day. After so many years, I was here. Rolling in the patient after being shot in the abdomen and later scrubbing into to his surgery to perform a damage control laparotomy to stop the bleeding in his abdomen coming from his lacerated liver. This dream of mine is now a reality and I still can't believe this is true sometimes. You get so carried away in your passion that you don't take the time to just stop and breathe and take it all in. I did on that day and this is the best feeling in the world. On July 1st, I will be entering McGill as a first year resident in general surgery and I have wanted this for so long. It's finally here and I am so lucky to have had the chance to experience everything that I have so far and so much more to come!

Wow...this post is pretty deep!

Here are some pics from my week.

On another note! I am leaving tomorrow for 3 days. I will be visiting Swaziland, this is a small country within south africa. Lots to visit here. We will be staying in a hostel that is in a national park game reserve. Yes there will be wild animals roaming around. Supposedly this country has some really rare rhinnos! I can't wait and it will be a nice break from work. I will take lots of pics and share when I get back!

Have a good night everyone....mom & dad - thank you for everything :)

Evie - Isn't it amazing that we are spending the rest of our lives toghether? I think it is :) xox


Driving in Johannesburg

Sushi lunch at Nelson Mandela Square


Segregated entrance at the museum depending on your skin colour


The Sharpeville Massacre

Ballot Box for the first mixed-racial election

Holding cell where they could keep you for up to 500 days

Taxi for white persons

Driving in Johannesburg

Trauma nurse

Nandos Restaurant - Portuguese chicken....so good!!!  
Sofie catching a snooze around 1am before the storm hits 
Dedicated ambulance service for pregnant ladies 

Wheelchair flat tire

South African Outdoor film festival - we were invited by Li's friend Slie. She's a make up artist for the movie business. Didn't realize this night was for people in the business. Actors, producers, directors, etc... We watched a movie and the actor in it was watching it with us! 
Out for drinks with Slie and Li - Melville street
Had to visit a South African gay bar - so much fun. They like white boys :) 

Having coffee in my backyard



South African Crafts Market - only on Sundays

Show outside the market


No comments:

Post a Comment