Tuesday 19 March 2013

A day in Joburg...

Hey guys!! 

I decided that I would post some pics today and give you guys a glimpse into Joburg and my experience at the Johannesburg General Hospital....



Tuesday morning Morbidity and Mortality Rounds
Major Incident Trends at Johannesburg General from 2005-2010
The scale goes up to 900 people....take a look at their numbers!
Hospital hallway
The suture room
This is where they keep the headboards for immobilization
The clean, before the stretcher area

The Lodox machine - takes full body xrays of most trauma patients that come in right away before they get off the paramedics stretched, unless they are unstable. 
One of the many different ambulances they have here!
Inside one of the ambulances....very basic stuff here. But this is a first response vehicle.
Most are paramedics that can start IVs, administer morphine, etc...
Me and the crew
Chilling outside the trauma bay
Small world - this is Kevin Sawchuck. I bumped into him in the trauma bay and we started talking. He tells me he's from Canada. I ask where? He's like you prob don't know it, but from BC. I am like, well maybe I do, I am getting married in Penticton, BC. He says no shit, I live in Powell River. I was like uhmm...why does this sound familiar. Oh! Wait...do you know Jessica Bowes? He's like yea! I was like, she's my fiancee good friend and she's in my wedding! He is a student at the medical school here and is in his last year. SMALL WORLD!!! 
Sofie eating my Toblerone after leaving it on the table outside while I ate my lunch.
It melted in a matter of 10 minutes! She enjoyed it. It looked like poo. 
Chilling by the pool right after our shift
Billtong! This is sooo good, kind of like beef jerky but better!!
South African yummy :)

This is for you Vicki! My car parked at the university parking.
I managed to get free parking here for the whole month!! 

My car parked at my place :)
Thank you Vicki and Avis!!
A night out for dinner with the international students at Moyo Restaurant.
Germany, England, Austria, Australia, Sweden, Denmark and Greece!
We have all become great friends!!
Entertainment at Moyo Restaurant

Face painting at Moyo!! 
Costa! The greek surgeon from Crete, Irakleo.
This is where Evie's mom is from! We are getting together soon for some greek festivities in Joburg.
I found a greek restaurant called Mythos - we will give it a try!!
My reaction to the weather in Montreal while FaceTiming with Evie!
She was happy it was a snow day and got to stay home and relax, while my Toblerone melted :(



 Hope you guys enjoyed them and hope you are all enjoying the snow!! 

Good night from Joburg
Phil (+ Evie for life xox)










No comments:

Post a Comment