Tuesday 12 March 2013

Johannesburg, South Africa


Hello!! 

Last time I started my blog, it was over a year ago when I first ventured off to Africa, where I stayed in a small village in Ghana. Since then, I have had a tremendous interest in international experiences and thought I would finish off my last elective spot at McGill by going to Johannesburg for a Trauma Surgery rotation. This location seemed appropriate as Johannesburg is one of the busiest trauma cities known. There are two major hospitals here that coordinate the Trauma patients - the busiest in the world (I'm assuming based on stories and volumes!) is the Baragwanath Hospital. Bara is intense and there has been good McGill representation there in the last year (Justine, Oliver, Brendan and Sajjid). Now my turn, I will be spending a month at the Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg General Hospital. This is based right beside the Wits University Medical School, one of the largest medical schools in South Africa!

I had booked this elective almost 9 months before the date because this is one of the hardest places to get a spot at. People from all over the world are trying to get an elective in Trauma because of the reputation they have. With that said, lots has changed since 9 months ago! Engaged to my beautiful Evie, accepted in General Surgery at McGill, new condo coming up, graduating in a 2 months and planning a wedding! I feel like this is a lot going on at the same time, but have been used to this crazy lifestyle. However, this made it so difficult for me to leave this time around. I was scared of leaving all this behind to go to South Africa and do Trauma in a busy violent city! Weeks leading up to my departure date, Evie would cry and beg for me not to leave. I was almost convinced to stay home, but I really wanted to get a chance to experience this. The day I left Evie at the airport, I was so miserable. I had this weird feeling in my stomach and I truly missed her. Never felt like this before and was thinking how 5 weeks was going to feel like forever. Evie and I are strong, we have been apart from each other before, only difference this time is that we have promised to spend the rest of our lives together, so any time away from each other makes it difficult, but healthy! 

My trip to South Africa started on late Friday night with a flight to London, England in order to catch another flight 12 hours later to go to Johannesburg. I figured I would venture out into the city and be a tourist, seeing as I had 12 hours! Within minutes of posting on facebook that I arrived to London, 3 of my friends living there messaged me and told me where to go, what to see, how to get there, etc... In 12 hours I : starting at 10am took the Heathrow express to Paddington station, then took the tube to Oxford circuis road, then I walked around downtown, Liecester square, Trafalgar square, Buckingham palace (in time for changing of the guard), Big Ben, London Bridge, Borough Market, St-Paul's Cathedral, some free museums, ate at Pret a Manger, met up with Rita (friend from long time ago, she's working there now as an Architect) had a drink on a rooftop lounge overlooking the city (while in my sweats and zip up and backpack) and then we took a London cab (so cool!!) and met up with my brother's friend/my high school friend's brother Roberto at a pub where there was a live rugby match playing, had some more beers!! I figured at around 6:30pm, that it was timet to get back to Heathrow Airport for my 9:05pm flight! On our way to the tube, we crossed paths with the Canadian House Pub, so we had to get another beer here! (silly me) I was sitting on the tube to the airport at 7:05pm - feel asleep because I had too many drinks and exhausted! It actually took 1 hour and bit to get to the airport. At this point its 8:15 and my flight already started boarding and I was at Terminal 1 from the tube. Luckily I didn't have to change Terminals and ran for 15 minutes to get to security and my gate! As soon as I showed up at the gate, she said just walk on the plane right now please. PHEW i made it on time!!! Then I slept for the whole flight, yes - the whole 11 hours!! Then voila, I was in Johannesburg! 

I am not going to lie, I was scared at first. You hear so many crazy stories about Joburg that it definitely keeps you on your toes! Also, this time I was all alone. This made it difficult because there is no one to share your fear with! Got to customs and waiting 1 hour circling around the line waiting to show my passport. No questions asked and I am in! My suitcase also made it too :) I was so happy! As soon as you crossed into the real world, the airport was buzzing. So many people with signs up, asking you for lifts, help you with your bags. I was on a mission: find a sim card for my phone and find avis for my car rental. Yes, I will be driving in Johannesburg. 

Once I got settled into my car, I couldn't get the GPS to work because I was underground. OH WAIT - so in Joburg, driver side is on the right and you have to also drive on the wrong side of the road. So exiting the parking lot, I figured I would be able to stop somewhere and fix the GPS with the address of the place I was staying at. Nope, it brings you exactly on the highway. So imagine this - driving on right side of the car, opposite side of the road, shifting with your left hand (standard car) and trying to fiddle with the GPS. DANGEROUS lol but you couldn't pull over and I didn't know where to go. Eventually I fixed it up and focused on my driving. Get off at an exit and turn right - DAMN IT - I just turned into the oncoming lane of traffic and car heading straight at me. I swerved to the shoulder and he slammed his breaks. People walking were screaming at me. My heart was racing, I was uncomfortable in the car, I was scared, shaking and wanted to be home cuddling in bed with Evie on a Sunday morning :( It got much better! I got used to, but you never actually get 100%, probably not until I leave from here in 5 weeks. 

Swanage - this is what the house is called where I will be staying for the time I am here. I am staying where Brendan, my friend stayed when he was in Joburg for Trauma. The house is owned by Dr. Alan Peter, a pulmonologist, a priest and a game ranger!! Such a cool man, unfortunately, he is away until March 10th on a safari! However, he has promised to take us to Kruger National park one weekend, camping with the animals! When I arrived, I was greeted by an Australian medical student who was leaving that day after spending 8 weeks here on elective. This house can house up to 7 medical students and also has a family from Uganda who are here for their PhD. (Clementine, Fidel and their cute little son Elvis! ) Eventually, a student from Denmark, Li, who is here for 6 weeks for a peds elective arrived and showed me around, gave me tips and we will be spending most of our time here at the house together.

It's getting pretty late now here and I think I will end my story here. I will continue to talk about the rest of my journey soon. I have started working at Joburg General - all I can say is that it's pretty eye opening to see how busy it can get here on the Trauma service. 

Good night and until next time....
Phil 

P.S. Miss Evie: I heart you

3 comments:

  1. Good luck ! Keep blogging, maybe this could could become a novel or a movie !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I'm a medical student from the UK who stumbled upon your blog recently. I am quite keen on applying for a trauma elective in Johannesburg in the near future and was wondering whether you had an opinion on Charlotte Maxeke vs Bara?

    Thanks for your advice.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up
    rooftop bar johannesburg

    ReplyDelete